Tuesday, January 19, 2010

my new class. and how much i do not know

I am very excited, and intimidated, about my current class “Digital Photography/ Photo as Language.” It is an advanced level studio art class using photography as the medium. It is also a service-learning course exploring the communication abilities of photos for People with Aphasia. This being an advanced art class does not intimidate me, but photography is a new medium to me. So is the language disorder, Aphasia. I had never even heard about this disorder until this class, and am learning about it as we go. It often occurs in those that have suffered from strokes, which leaves them with the inability to communicate well through speech/writing. But this does not mean their thought processes is affected. As a class we will be traveling to The UCF Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders to work with adults rehabbing from this disorder. Photography will be working as a therapy to release their ideas and share them with others. As a visual culture this may help the individuals communicate better with society.
By the end of this course I hope to understand Aphasia better, and be able to spread more concern about this disorder. I also hope to understand photography better, and feel more comfortable being behind a lens.

No comments:

Post a Comment