Monday, November 15, 2010

After last Critique

My artwork being focused on gender roles is still there. I am getting closer to why I am drawn to this subject matter, and why I create the images I do. I mimic high fashion magazines so my viewers have a reference point with my work. They recognize the formal elements of my photos and a familiarity with them, but are still questionable on what they are seeing. After further investigation of the image the viewer realizes how the gender roles of our society have been switched, and than read the image completely different. I chose this technique because images surround us everyday and it was a way to connect with my audience in a subtle way. This is why my images will be sized like that of a magazine page. By referencing fashion magazines, a product predominately bought by females, I am pointing out how woman are still being portrayed negatively. And accept it as the social norm.

The concept of gender and oppression of woman in our cultural landscape is a complex issue. It has been tackled by many before me, but I am trying to find my voice in the issue. The ability to use photography to draw my viewer in, and than confuse them by the subtle difference of having a strong woman in the image is shocking to me. When as a culture we are so numb to seeing males as the dominant sex.

How I compose these images are still a struggle. I am getting closer and have some really strong ones, but still need more. The compositions where scenarios take place between the male and female work best. The female needs to be dominant, strong, independent, but done in a positive manner. I want this to come across as normal and common. I pay attention to details (nail polish, back muscles, clothing, color, stances) and do not like being forward. That is boring, but some of my images do have humor. Another device I use to tackle a serious topic. The repetative use of the same to models, and the lack of facial exposure helps my series flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment