Monday, November 29, 2010

Artists Statement

In my work, I reference magazine advertisements and alter the stylization of gender to explore the emotional and psychological effects it can have on my viewer. I take existing imagery, and switch the subject’s gender. This concept is subtle, but once it is recognized the image is read very differently.

The series is framed around the concepts of gender and oppression that form a part of our popular cultural landscape. I call attention to these issues by focusing on gender identity within my imagery. I transform gender roles through the acts of my models, and force the viewer to think about the often opposing view of the male and female body in mass media and in society.
This is in conversation with the trend of other advertisement/fashion images that challenge preconceived ideas of gender roles. Except I use strange non-scenarios to reference the tropes of fashion and deal with gender stereotyping, but without my images reading as a specific advertisement.

My inspiration comes from our cultures view that “sex sells,” which often leads to a forced connection between a sexualized female figure and a product being marketed. This is the crux of my series, but I exploit the male figure in my work in hope that these disempowering images make the viewer ask “what is this trying to tell me.” The same response I have when looking at the oppressive ads I am referencing. I hope this series makes the viewer walk away not only more aware of gender representation in advertisements, but also their own gender role in society.

No comments:

Post a Comment